Seeking Color.

"I have arrived. I am home. My destination is in each step." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Off I Go! Solo Vay-cay 2013.

Walking into the airport this morning I was flooded by a sense of freedom and overwhelming joy.

***

Traveling was a big part of my family’s life so it’s natural to now be reminded of these times when traveling on my own. I can’t help but marvel at how nothing has changed except for my perspective.

When I think back to traveling with my family, several very clear pictures pop into my head. Without fail, I was the last one getting in the already running car, blankets trailing behind me, carrying several stuffed animals, slightly oblivious to the fact that there was a schedule to be kept and that the people in the car were more than annoyed with me. Always carefree and not too concerned with the task at hand, preferring a slower pace of life where there’s always time for one more hug. And my dad – on the opposite end of the spectrum - insistent on being at the airport several hours early only to then sprint to the gate despite being comically early. Remembering our times in the airport makes me laugh. Imagine a family of five sprinting through airports led by an Italian man on a mission, followed by two of his equally mission-driven daughters and farrrrr behind a little girl dropping different stuffed animals every few steps with a frustrated mother pulling the little girl’s hand in attempt to keep the family together and be sure the youngest wasn’t lost. It’s kind of ridiculous. Along the way I’ve come to find that it doesn’t matter how fast we go or how urgent we make a situation seem, it doesn’t make much difference to the end result. What will be affected is your state of mind and your relationships. Noticing this has all but eliminated ‘being stressed out’ from my daily experience. Life is much more enjoyable.

***

My morning thus far has been perfect. Despite having a 4:45am leave time, I didn’t finish packing until 4:40am (this gave me a good 5 minutes of goodbye cuddles with my cats!). I called a cab 20 minutes before I needed to leave. I meandered into the airport only to be pulled to the side by security and frisked for explosives and anything else that could be on my body to pose danger to the plane. The whole time I chatted away and laughed knowing full well the flight had already boarded.  Post-frisk I stayed true to my Austin airport ritual and stopped to grab a couple of breakfast tacos. I was the last person to board and it was just fine! My tacos and I found ourselves next to a nice man and spent most of the 4 hour flight talking about life, passion, drive, and the fragility of building a life based on possessions. Now given precious time from a layover, I’ve found myself cuddled up in a booth, far away from my gate musing and spending time to write about my experiences. These are the things I’d like to remember so I write about them. These sweet little moments are lost when I’m stressed about getting everywhere in a hurry. I spent years following the stress blueprint that many of us do and it’s so much more fun to enjoy everything! And because I contained myself for so long, these are the moments of pure enjoyment and exhilaration – connecting with people – strangers and the people I love, recognizing the shift in how I view every day occurrences, being spontaneous, knowing I used to ache to go out and experience life but was too dependent on the people around me to do anything I really wanted. This pure happiness is directly related to the deep gratitude I feel for these wonderful moments and connections. It just feels dang good to get out there, be yourself, and do whatever the heck you want.


So, here we go solo vacation #2! Time to meander, take my time, get “lost”, and maybe drop a few things along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment