Seeking Color.

"I have arrived. I am home. My destination is in each step." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Why be Happy When You Could be Normal?

What exactly am I doing during those hours I insist on having alone time? Lots of random things go on in my house – dance parties, sing-off’s with my cats (seriously), but mainly it’s a time for me to create. When I have spells of not expressing creatively, I’m not happy. That’s the bottom line. Creativity takes many forms but last Friday night I found myself writing a poem in response to the book I’m currently reading, Why be Happy When You Could be Normal?

I was instantly drawn to this book simply because of the title. We all have those people in our life – parents, acquaintances, friends, lovers, cousins, partners, even ourselves – who perhaps not explicitly, implicitly ask us this question all the time. What a terrible thing to bring to any relationship - causing people to question who they are, things they love to do, and their cool little quirks (we all got ‘em and they rock).

The last time I wrote a poem was probably in middle school and I guess I was ready for another. My emphatic answer to that question…


take away from me
i will create anew
something beautiful
unique
and true.


Choose your happy and toss out normal. It’s made up anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment