Seeking Color.

"I have arrived. I am home. My destination is in each step." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Clarity


From the earliest years of my life I remember knowing two things: I want to help people and I want to make a difference in the world. 

These two convictions led me into the field of counseling and doing work that didn’t make me happy.  Now when I look back on my life I can see that the paths I’ve gone down, the choices I’ve made, and the relationships I’ve formed haven’t really been driven by these statements.  These statements are true but as I said in my last blog post the things that have actually been fueling my decisions are the questions: Who am I? and How can I be happy?

I recently stumbled across this poem and I think it’s true for all of us.  No one is capable of saving the world without first finding peace within.  It’s this inner peace and acceptance of ourselves that becomes a ripple effect on our immediate circle, then effecting their circles, and only then does it trickle out into the rest of the world.  How lovely.

Clearing by Martha Postlethwaite
Do not try to save
the whole world
or do anything grandiose.
Instead, create
a clearing
in the dense forest
of your life
and wait there
patiently,
until the song
that is yours alone to sing
falls into your open cupped hands
and you recognize and greet it.
Only then will you know
how to give yourself
to this world,
so worthy of rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment